Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Love

Valentine's Day was on Sunday and since it is still fresh on every one's mind, I will talk about LOVE this week. On Valentine's Day, we usually celebrate this holiday by presenting our loved ones with flowers, cards and candy. This is our way of showing love. We present these gifts to our parents, spouses, significant others, children or anyone who has impacted our lives. Well, God has given us the ULTIMATE gift of love....His son, Jesus Christ.John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. What is love according to God's standards?

1 Corinthians: 13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. 4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Also, God commands us not only to love those who love you, but to love those who hate you. You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:43-44)
I know that this may seem like a hard thing to do, but this is God's standard. As Christians, we are supposed to be different from the world. This is the love that God has for us and this is the love that we should have for Him and others. While Valentine's Day is fresh on your mind, meditate on this passage and think about the people you celebrate this holiday with. Do you love them according to this standard? Most importantly, think about God and His love for us. Think about His son, Jesus, who came to this world to die for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment